Welcome!

Well, here you are, at my blog. Possibly revisiting or maybe it's your first time to see my blog. Let's get some things out of the way first. I'm not blogging to be popular, I'm blogging as a hobby and because my friends insist I'm good at it. We'll see about that.

I also apologise in advance for any inside jokes that are likely to occur in my blogs...and spelling mistakes.

I hope you enjoy my blogs as much as I enjoy writing them. Please do leave some comments; criticism is welcome as long as it's not too harsh. I guess that's it.

Peace.
Paul.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Trust Me On This One

After a few days of serious pondering, I’m still not entirely sure what I’ll be blogging about for the next while. I’m waiting for some sort of divine intervention to present me wondrous ideas and marvellous stories, which I can share with you all. (Even though ‘you all’ is a big exaggeration on how many people, that will probably read this blog.)

For now, I’ve decided to write a little bit about trust. It’s a topic I’ve been thinking a lot about recently and no, this is not about how I’ve lost the trust of a friend and I’m only using my blog to be all melodramatic about it. This is about the trust we have that we may not think about everyday.

Many people will relate trust with those who are close to them, friends, relatives etc. But what some of us may not realise is that we put so much trust into people we do not know or have never even met.
Let me explain myself by talking about toothpaste. Trust me on this one. When we buy or use toothpaste what do we expect of it? To clean our teeth, to make our breath minty fresh and to remove bacteria. We also expect that it’s not toxic and that it only contains the ingredients shown on the packaging.

But someone we will probably never meet has produced this tube of toothpaste. Don’t you think it’s wonderful the amount of trust we give to this stranger? The same idea applies when we may take out an insurance policy on our home, when we vote in an election, when we put our hard earned money into the bank and when we send our children to school. How can we be sure we’re getting what we expect?

Of course, 99% of the time we do get exactly what we wanted and this is one of the things I love about this world. How we can throw our lives into the arms of strangers and things will usually work out for us. So as I tuck into my Muller Corner yoghurt (Yes, that is a shameless plug), I thank the complete, utter stranger that made it for me.

Thank you.

Peace,
Paul.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post, Paul. Well done! I trust these people because they're supposed to be qualified in their respective fields (notice I said 'supposed to' :P). They wouldn't be hired otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best kind of Muller Corner is the one with the biscuity bits. :)

    But yeah, I agree with David. A really well-written post. And it IS truly extraordinary how much trust we put into people without even realizing it. And then we're always astonished when that trust is betrayed.

    ReplyDelete